The Carabao


During our exploration of San Vicente on a motorbike, we passed through rough roads, forest lands and rice fields. It was  hot. Despite the conservative nature of the country folks, I was cruising around just wearing my bikini top and shorts. I suppose comfort matters more than what people think. (However, once we were in the town's plaza, I put my t-shirt back on.)

We found this lovely creature in a small clearing. The Carabao is a domestic water buffalo and the national animal of the Philippines. A very hardworking fellow in the field who is often referred to as a farmer's best friend.  



It always puzzles me to witness the mysterious friendship between the heron and the carabao. We noticed how inseparable they were. We raised this question a few times to people we met. Apparently, they mutually benefit a lot from this companionship. The proximity of the heron to a large animal like the carabao gives him protection. In return, he offers relief and comfort to the latter by feeding on the ticks and other insects. 



You might notice that I have intruded his personal space somehow and he curiously eyed me a few times. Watching this tranquil fella thoroughly at peace in his environment, I enjoyed taking pictures

Then we rode off to get to San Vicente's Long Beach.  To be continued..

 Have a lovely day!
Love and Light,
Arni

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. i love the first photo. :) and i love this.. "farmer's best friend" <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a way to see the countryside! I could picture it in my head even before you posted pictures! Can't wait to hear more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, he looks like a splendid fellow ! Look forward to hearing more

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good photos! The Carabao seems to be posing for your camera :)
    I'm curious about how the story follows ...

    Have a lovely day, you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Pics Arni, so true that it's looking at you in a really pacific way...Never heard about this animal before.
    Have a great week sweety.
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely pic!And the lovely buffalo is even posing for the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that I could be as brave as you to get that close to such a huge animal! Love the pictures though!

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images