Planting Tomatoes


Before we begin, this post chronicles my days spent at my father-in-laws' garden in France as I learn first-hand from an expert like he is, tips and techniques how he does it. Guess what? He planted this tomato babies in less than 15 minutes.  Ok, I'm definitely not a green thumb! I was that type of gal who wouldn't plunge her little fingers in dirt for fear that an affectionate slug will wrap itself around her finger.  Yet, when I started pulling out grass to help maintain another garden (my sister-in-law's), the obsessive maniac in me couldn't stop and fearlessly dug my hands in to pull out weeds.  Since then, I help out maintaining the garden.  Though we grew tomatoes year after year in our own small backyard garden in Dubai, I still wanted to learn, so that I can take this knowledge and experience with me when we move to the Philippines. 

Where do we start?
Back in Dubai, my husband planted seeds in small pots. Seeds that we got from tomatoes we bought in the supermarket and ate. My father-in-law got some seeds marked "Bio" in a jardinerie. If you want them fast, you can buy small tomato plants from the nursery or gardening shops and start raising them until they're about 15 to 25 cm high. You can grow different varieties.  For us, this was the reason we always ate the product first, so we know what we're gonna get when we plant the extracted seeds. :)

Cultivate the soil in the desired sunny spot.  Make sure to remove the weeds.  To align them, prepare a string with huge nails on both ends. We used the wooden plank to walk on.


Set the small tomato plants spaced approximately 45-90cm. Distance depends on the number of tomato plants within the space.


Create a hole in the soil for your baby tomato plants. Remove the plant from the pot/container. Pour in a handful of organic fertilizer before transplanting your tomato plant in the ground.


Place a wooden stake next to the plant that will reinforce and support the vine as it grows. Based on our experience, the secret to growing big tomatoes is to regularly trim unwanted branches that grow in between the Y-shaped formation of the plant branches. I enjoy removing this! 

Also, avoid allowing the bottom leaves and branches to touch the ground in order to avoid the tomato plants from getting sick.  Through the leaves' direct contact with the soil and humidity, it can cause tomato plant disease. 


Lastly, water water water.  Et voila!

Here's an example of a tomato plant that was previously planted in another side of the garden using metal stakes. 



I just threw in a picture of our little gardener who loves to spend most of her time outdoors when she's not napping.  We look forward to having our own vegetable garden once we are all settled.

Tomorrow, 6th June 2015, I am participating in  #1Day12Pics Instagram challenge by  @EmmaDaviesPhoto of Photography for blogs.  It's exciting! Follow her on Instagram for challenge updates and photos.  You can find my pictures here and below this page.  

For now I wish you all a lovely weekend!
Love & light,
Arni


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. there's nothing better than the taste of a tomato you grown yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been intrigued with planting because I love how something beautiful, useful and free comes from the ground. Unfortunately, I am not that much of a green thumb. But I guess it will not hurt to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is so pretty! Nothing is better than homegrown food.

    ReplyDelete