HortiKultura 2016 and Tropical Heat Resistant Strawberries


Do you love herbs, gardening and nature?

While running errands processing documents in government agencies around Quezon City, we decided to pop by the Flower and Tropical Garden. There's an ongoing event called HortiKultura Extravaganza 2016, a horticulture show from 4th of February to 16th of February 2016 in Quezon Memorial Circle along Elliptical Road in Quezon City, Philippines.

It is organized by Philippine Horticultural Society, Inc. in partnership with the Quezon City Government, different garden clubs, Department of Tourism, Department of Agriculture, Villar Foundation,  Del Monte Philippines, and AANI Group.

There are daily lectures and workshops, various trade exhibits, and competitions.  It was a time well spent browsing through different green babies.

Tropical blooms
A walk through the garden / trade fair
Ashitaba Seedling
There was a booth promoting Ashitaba Tea and Ashitaba seedling. Ashitaba which means "tomorrow leaf" is known to be a Japanese longevity herb beneficial to persons with diabetes and hypertension. I have been hearing this name a lot but didn't dare try the tea until I really know more about it. 

Quezon Memorial Monument at Quezon Memorial Circle
Sweet Basil and Thai Basil
Oregano Thyme
Lots of  Pots, Landscaping Furniture and Accessories 

One of my most precious finds here is the heat resistant strawberries.  Wilson's Tree Bank propagated these by tissue culture technology.  Despite the tropical climate, with this method they can thrive and grow vigorously and have better field performance for the best fruit quality and maximum production. Each  pot costs Php 150.


Strawberry Cultivation: The best way of strawberry cultivation in a backyard or commercial production in a tropical area is by using a pot or seedling bag size of 12 x 14 inches. Fill up 1/2 of it with decompost organic fertilizer then add 2-3 inches of clean top soil before placing your strawberry plantlet (without removing plastic) on the soil then apply clean sand around the plastic to fill up. Give one inch space for watering. 

Strawberry Maintenance: Place them in an area with full sun and good air circulation. Water them once a day. Mix 1 tablespoon of 14-14-14 fertilizer in 2 gallon water and then apply 1 cup of the solution once a week to each strawberry plant. Within 3 months, they will all be in full bloom and enjoy the harvest all year round.

Note: It is important to remove the runner as the strawberry plant will produce a lot. The runner will prevent the growth of strawberry and affect its fruit production. Trim the runner when they are less than 4 inches long. Remove the leaves eaten by worms as soon as possible to avoid using pesticide.

For more information and questions, contact:

Wilson's Instant Tree Bank
KM 77 Mc Arthur Hi-way, City of San Fernando, Pampanga
Mobile: 0927-6261099 / 0927 7769777
Email address: wilsonstreebank@yahoo.com
Facebook page

If you have nothing planned this week, do check it out. 
Love & light,
Arni



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I didn't inherit my father's green thumb. Believe me I wish I could cultivate a plant, I've tried several times but my plants always end up dead. I even managed to kill a cactus for the love of god! Maybe I don't really have the passion for it? I know that it takes dedication to grow the greens, apparently, I am not dedicated enough. But I do love them, in fact I want my own garden someday. I'm now looking at those strawberries that can stand the heat, but I'm afraid if I buy one it would only die in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand where you're coming from. My Mom wasn't successful with plants back in the day to the point that she was afraid of touching them for fear that they'd die if she did. I started out not wanting to touch the soil with my hands but somehow after spending some time with them more and more, I rarely use gloves anymore. Baby steps, I suppose. Slowly, my Mom got into it and she's now able to grow a 'welcome plant'. :)

      Delete
  2. Those spheric pots are really lovely.
    Back me was a child and lived on a farm we always had strawberry fields :) I remember we'd bring in a couple of full buckets in one picking and those were real strawberries not these modern ones that taste like plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me dream of going back to the garden of my in-laws back in Europe. Organic strawberries are the best. They are very much missed by my daughter.

    ReplyDelete