3 Things I Like About Pinas This Week


"A Grateful Heart is a Magnet for Miracles."

Here's a round up of my faves this week:

1. The Joy of Playing Outdoor Games

The other day I found male neighbors in their 20s and 30s playing "tumbang preso" in the side street where not a lot of vehicles pass. Tumbang Preso is a Filipino children's game literally translated as "knock down the prisoner".  The goal is to knock down a can with their slippers or flip-flops. I was amused to watch them set up their game, dividing themselves into two groups equally standing at opposite sides. The game should be played by a maximum of nine players. One guards the can while the rest stands behind the line to hit it.  I couldn't help reminiscing about my childhood playing this game as well as hide and seek with my friends in abandoned buildings or a thrill seeking game "of patintero"

Patintero, on the other hand, is another group outdoor game played by two teams. It requires speed, agility, strategy and team work. The rule of the game is to pass through the grid lines guarded by the opposing team without getting tagged. A chalk is used to draw the grid lines on the ground and a bigger space is required roughly around 6 linear meters in depth length x 4 linear meters horizontal width. It is usually played by four players per team. 

Have you played this game when you were young (er)?


2. Green Therapy

When I moved to the south, I have always wanted to wake up early, drive up to this spot and drink my freshly brewed coffee in my thermos while enjoying this view. Finally did it this weekend!


3. Santan

Was sucking the sweet nectar from this flower a part of your childhood? The santan plant, Ixora coccinea grows into a shrub and thrives well in the heat.  I finally learned how to propagate them by using their plant cuttings.  

What made you smile in your own hometown this week?
Love & light,
Arni

You Might Also Like

0 comments