4 Things I Like About Pinas This Week


Look up.  Since that moment a coconut fell an inch away from my head, I tend to look up and make sure I'm away from these trees when the sh...err.. smoothie hits the fan.   Oh well, I love coconuts and the first thing I'm grateful for is saying goodbye to cans of coconut milk/cream from the supermarket. I now have access to freshly grated coconut and coconut water. 

What else do I like about the Philippines this week?



2. Avocado Season
Who is a fan of avocado out there?  
Raise your hand. 
Join the club! 

We are enjoying the avocado season and we always feel sad when it's about to end. So much that a friend purchased 5 kilos worth of avocado drizzled with Calamansi (Philippine Lime) juice to preserve them in the freezer.  

Yes that's right, you can freeze your guacamole. (Was it just me? Or that didn't sound right?) 

What can we do with avocado?  

Sugar and milk usually pops up in a true blue Pinoy's mind.  The Pinay in me made lots of avocado ice candy recently. Needless to say, they're all gone now.  My daughter loves them and everyone in the house, (drum roll) except my husband. In case you're wondering,  he still can't reconcile the fact that sugar and milk could be mixed with avocado. 

I can't complain. When he introduced me to other ways of eating avocado, I got hooked and have preferred savory versions.  (Except for the Avocado Ice Candy- love em) 


Here are Avocado Recipe Ideas


Guess What?  Deep Fried Avocados!


I discovered Deep Fried Avocados from Judy Ann's Kitchen. I paired it with Garlic Sriracha Mayo.  Check out the recipe and how to make it on their Youtube Link.   Segue, my daughter and I are a fan of their channel. My 4 yo always asks me to play them and once I do, she's glued. 

For the garlic sriracha mayo, I use Olive Oil Mayo.  Any non-sweet mayo would do. I add minced garlic and /or garlic powder, a dollop of dijon mustard and sriracha according to your own level of spice.  Bon Appetit!


3.  Lechon in Carcar Market


I have been living in the south of Cebu for almost 2 years and it was only last July when I discovered this! Argh, I was amazed the first time I saw this huge hall in Carcar Market filled with stalls of Lechon de Cebu. Yes, the popular Carcar Lechon.  As you walk in, aggressive sales people will thrust trays of hot and freshly cooked, definitely crispy lechon skin to you, convincing you for a taste test.  

How much?  Php 400 per kilo.  I was told you could haggle but twice, I failed. I'm sure you could do better than I did. Do share your story if you have managed to get a discount.   

Honestly, they are soo good!  And if you're visiting the south, it's worth the stop over.  While you're at it, if your cholesterol level can still take on a few more, head over to the stalls next to the market at the end of the main highway for Chicharon shopping.  Mat-mat is my go to place because they're still hot when they pack them. These would be perfect for pasalubong. 


4.  Drinking my Coffee With This View


Quiet. Clean Air.  Take a deep breath. Sip your cup of jo. Ah, the life! 

What about you? 
What do you like about your home country or country of residence this week?
Happy Weekend Everyone!
Love & light,
Arni

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love avocado, and I love it the Filipino way. When I was young, my mother used to make avocado shakes, she didn't use a blender, she just cuts avocados into cubes, put them in a pitcher with water, then mixes sugar and milk. It's one of my most favorite childhood desserts. By the way, I have never tried guacamole, yes I know, I'm weird. I've eaten in a lot of places yet I've never tried it. This is the first time I've heard of deep-fried avocado, I wonder how it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marge, I ought to try them cubed with milk and sugar. I believe it's better this way. The deep fried avocado is surprisingly delicious. Depending on the type of avocado or how it's cooked, sometimes there's a bitter after taste but it's crispy on the outside while it melts in the mouth. Can't wait to hear what you think of guacamole.

      Delete
  2. Guacamole YESSSSS! That all looks so terribly good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rooth! Waah avocado season is almost over here. Time to stock and freeze them.

      Delete