A Silent Visit to the Monastery of the Transfiguration in Bukidnon



It was the weekend of Kaamulan Festival in Malaybalay City. 

My best friend and her family toured us around for an unplugged weekend break from work up in the mountains.  After a long drive from Cagayan de Oro to Bukidnon, as we were getting out of the car, a pyramidal structure greeted us.  

Exhaustion evaporated as soon as the calm breeze swept over me.  A positive energy immediately transcended every fiber of my being into a state of peace.  Time stood still and the only sound one could hear were those of leaves and branches that danced in the gentle wind.  The green mountainscape that surrounded the monastery was soothing to behold. 


"Ssh.." I silenced my daughter as she ran up the stone steps while her laughter echoed in the stillness. It was forbidden to create noise of any kind.  

Even if there was no one policing the sound pollution of any sort, it felt as though peace and solemnity were naturally observed and protected. Keeping silent was instinctive and there are also signs everywhere to remind anyone to respect them. 


The  Benedictine Monastery of Transfiguration in Malaybalay,  Bukidnon is a peaceful place of prayer and contemplation.  At certain times, you can hear the Benedictine Monks pray and sing hymns. While it is possible to stay here overnight and have breakfasts with the monks, it is also feasible to participate in a guided or silence retreat.

The pyramid shaped church was designed by the National Artist, Architect Leandro Locsin.  The minimalist design reflects the simplicity and stability in the Benedictine monk's way of life. The original abbey was founded in 1983 but the new church was completed 1996. At the center is a huge metal cross which was sculpted and created by another national artist. 


Across the church is a museum that showcases  the collection of monks' garments by Fr. Dom Martin Gomez, a famous fashion designer in the 70s, who later became a monk.  Many pieces were made of abaca and pina in various designs most of which had patterns inspired by traditional and local designs.



Travel Tip:
  1. Keep silent at all times including your mobile phone.
  2. Wear appropriate attire , no shorts, above the knee dresses/skirts and sleeveless tops for women. 
How to Get There: 

Take a domestic flight to Laguindingan Airport in Northern Mindanao. Head to Agora bus terminal in Cagayan de Oro. From Davao, head over to Ecoland Bus Terminal. There are buses that go to Malaybalay. Simply take a multi-cab or a motorcycle (habal-habal) for a 5 kilometer drive south to Barangay San Jose. 


Wait!  
Before leaving,  don't forget to sample their local Monks' Blend Coffee. The monastery has their own coffee farm and they sell local coffee here in packages for both coffee beans and ground coffee. There is a shop down the road with various local delicacies. These would definitely make a great pasalubong. 



Perfect venue for a silence retreat
Happy weekend!
Love & light,
Arni

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love when you post about places I have never heard of before, like this. I mean I do appreciate posts on popular destinations especially if I want to go to those places themselves, but I think I like it more when I read something that is not usual.

    And I have never been to Cagayan de Oro. Mindanao is one part of the Philippines that I haven't had the luxury of discovering yet. I wish to change that next year. And when I do I'd love to visit this place. I am keen to take home one of those bags of coffee, and of course, check out the museum of monks' garments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your positive feedback. I will aim to share more stories of unfamiliar places here on the blog. We came here as part of my friend's side trip itinerary as she wanted to show us this tranquil destination while on a site visit to architectural projects we are working on in CDO. I am grateful she introduced me to this place.

      Delete