3 Things I Like About Pinas this Week


How have you all been?

The blame for lack of posts here goes to administrative errands, travel, household duties, and motherhood apart from our adjustment to living in a new place.  I will be honest, many at times I thought of pulling the plug on Travel Gourmande, because finding 3 things that I like about the Philippines started becoming difficult.  To the point where my article cascades to a rant.  Such as, Don't get me started on the ridiculous Christmas decorations that I saw in August kind of example. 

See?  A statement like that will entice negative reactions.  For some find decorating this early fun and amusing, while the rest thinks this as down right annoying.  A friend living in the Philippines said, "Decorating for Christmas by the end of November is a sign of hyper-excitement  while August is a near sign of mental illness. "

I personally love Christmas but pulling it out way too early just spoils it for us, much so that my family stopped decorating because Christmas has lost its luster since we moved back here in the Philippines.  

Let's agree to disagree, shall we?

What brought me back on this page is my love of writing.  I miss typing away, untangling the rush of words and ideas inside my head. This is my blog space and I can say whatever I want to say here.  

What I find note worthy in the Philippines lately are these:

1. Newly - renovated Mactan Domestic Airport Terminal in Lapu-lapu City, Cebu

Bigger waiting areas with more light. Additional dining and retail spaces inside the terminal boarding area make it sweeter!



2. Angkas

Angkas is an on-demand app based motorcycle taxi service. I heard Angkas mentioned a few times before, so during a recent trip to the urban capital,  I downloaded the app when a driver cancelled my taxi booking.  The driver  will accept your request via the app, after stating your point of pick-up and destination along with the equivalent fare. Most of the time, there is one readily available nearby, who will hand over a helmet and offer disposable face masks as soon as he picks you up. It is a lifesaver! I made it to my meeting despite the traffic! Just make sure you have the exact change. In case you are wondering, yes, Angkas is also available in Cebu City.


3.  Scuba Diving in Moalboal


I finally got to see the school of sardines underwater while looking up at 10 to 12 meters depth. You see I have suffered from anxiety and paralyzing fear of deep waters so if I were to ask my younger self, the idea of me in a body suit with an oxygen tank was unthinkable. Yet, learning how it works with an excellent dive instructor who patiently guided me at my own pace comfortably reassured me that I am in safe hands, thus I can do it, to breathe in and out and allow the meditative silence underwater to consume me.

Thank you Koz and Cebu Dive Centre for the Discovery Scuba experience.

I am currently a student of Open Water and during my 300 meter swim test, I got to swim with a 1.2 meter width sea turtle. Sweet!

What's on your list this week? 
Name 3 things you like about your current home town

Love & light,
Arni







You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. We're full into Christmas stuff now that Halloween is over! My favourite thing about my neighborhood lately is the Halloween parade. A lot of the neighbors come out to participate and the little kids are oh so cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. November after the Halloween I think is just about a good time to start feeling festive about Christmas. I would love to experience Halloween at least once in the U.S. Sounds so much fun!

      Delete