3 Things I Miss About Pinas Recently


Bukidnon, Philippines

There are only two reasons when there is silence on this blog. One is I'm traveling.  The other one is, I'm pursuing a goal that needs the attention of my entire being.    

The former is my perfect excuse. The word "gallivanting" suddenly popped up in my head as well as snapshots of recent events; our roller coaster ride at Euro Disney plunging down into the darkness, admiring the Notre Dame Cathedral  a week before watching it in flames on TV,  our long drive on small countryside roads through fields of yellow (Canola or in french - Colza) and the massive consumption of baguette, cheese and wine. 

As you all know, France is and will ever be my creative refuge. I have noticed that in the last fifteen years, France is a place I escape to to nurture my soul, where I can breathe and feel completely comfortable in my own skin. I strongly feel creative energies flowing through me while I am here. Something that I honestly admit is lacking when I am in the Philippines, unless I keep myself hibernating inside my home. I have always been future oriented but it is only in France where I am in love with the present, where I don't want the day to end and cherish each second.

Then it struck me, " Nothing exists but the present. If one cannot live there, one cannot live anywhere."  

So to write what I am missing about the Philippines is quite a challenge that I am thrusting myself into.  To convince myself to find a common ground between my "raison d'être" and why I should return.

What I miss about the Philippines

Coffee with Friends

1. Friends

The few trusted friends we have made while living there. The conversations over coffee or dinner.  Though we meet people from time to time here in France through casual conversations, it takes time to forge lifetime friends. 

Paliton Beach, Siquijor

2.  White Sand Beach

Not that I am ever a sea person but staring at the Atlantic Ocean the other day watching families soak themselves in those cold waves. "Brrr.." seemed more like punishment to me.   That was the first time I whispered to myself and thought, "Oh, if these guys could only see and experience the white sand beaches in my country, they'd probably not return to this freezing cold water."

3.  Bananas and Mangoes

Don't get me wrong, Baguette is heaven, but it comes with a guilt. While living in the Philippines, I always had bananas for breakfast. I got used to it.  The song, " Nobody does it better..." rings a bell. Hands down, bananas and mangoes in the Philippines are unbeatable.  They're sweeter and they come in varieties and are definitely less expensive.  Until then bananas and mangoes, I'll see you again soon.

For now,  I'll stuff myself with those crusty and mouth melting baguette with salted butter.

À bientôt
Arni





You Might Also Like

2 comments