Quarantine Thoughts


Where I live, each household has one representative allowed to go out to purchase food or medicine. This designated person is given a  quarantine pass issued by the local government. In our family, this person is me. 

We are not allowed to leave our municipality or commune unless we have an authorized permit for valid medical emergencies.  I limit my trips outside to about once every ten days. 

I parked the tuk-tuk to the nearest parking space about a hundred meter from the local market, I continued walking with my re-usable shopping bag tucked under my arm.  

The presence of checkpoints is a strong reminder of this new reality we live in.  Each time I come across men in uniform  (I salute you guys, thank you for doing this), I feel my chest tightening. I breathe deeper. 

"Why?" This question follows this sinking feeling as it lingers in my head. I then shrug it off thinking that our great grandparents and grandparents endured and suffered even more during the First and Second World Wars,  so I shouldn't complain. Instead, I should be grateful that however difficult it may be, at least, we don't live in terror daily for the threat of a possible bomb dropping over our houses. But hold on,  what about the medical workers battling this on a day to day basis? They are out there, saving the day, providing hope and care.  In the end, I realize this virus, like a bomb, creates havoc all the same. 

A week ago, I had a painful dental abscess that needs immediate care. Too much information, I know. As you can imagine, the last thing you would want in this pandemic quarantine is to suffer a bad toothache and any medical emergency.   I was fortunate that my dentist gave me a prescription for antibiotics to temporarily manage it via Facebook messenger. Her dental clinic is hours away. To get there, I would have to cross numerous checkpoints. Unfortunately, her clinic is currently closed. Thus, I have to wait it out.

While I patiently queued outside of the pharmacy for my turn to  buy some medication while under the lull of pain meds, I watched the empty street and a few pedestrians wearing masks. I wondered  how they were feeling.  Everyone was silent. As a freelancer and a small business owner, the economic uncertainty leaves me with a nagging anxiety and to cope, I keep myself busy. What would happen to all of us after this?  I wonder if they were to rate the level of their worry from 1 to 10, what would it be?

How are you doing and how do you cope?
Wishing you some love & light in these dark times,
Arni


You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Hi Arni, believe me I feel your stress when you said you have a dental problem. I think out of all body pains, toothache is the worst! I just hope you can cope while waiting out this ECQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful for pain relievers. Thank you Marge, I hope it all goes well. So far, my condition has improved, I can't wait to see the dentist as soon as ECQ is lifted.

      Delete
  2. That's even more strict than here. We have weekend full day curfews, but during the day we can go out till 5PM. This weekend should be the last under curfew because MayDay is huge here and they don't want people picnicking. Don't you have any other dentists closer to your home? An hour ride is like different city. My dentist is like 20 minutes walk away from me.

    I do understand the worry. I've been without work for two months now. My worry level would be currently somewhere around number 2 or 3 since I've worked for three years without any breaks and I try to accept this as the much needed and overly due relaxation period. Hope we will both find work after this, but the world will definitely not be the same any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good that residents there can go out till 5PM. I crave for a much needed walk in nature. Children and Senior Citizens here are completely banned from leaving their homes. Face masks are also mandatory here. We also have a liquor ban. I suppose to prevent people from gathering together for drinking sessions. Yes, it's like traveling to a different city. I found out from a friend that there's 1 dentist here, just in case this quarantine gets extended. We'll see how things go. Enjoy this relaxation period. Thanks Dezzy, amen to that. I pray we both find work after this.

      Delete
    2. Our seniors have also been under full lockdown for a month now, they've only now started letting them out for half an hour but just few times a week, it is so sad watching them doing their sad walks, nobody deserves being locked like that, but our dictator is pure evil. They could at least let them go for a walk early mornings or something. My mother hasn't been out in a month, but we have a massive yard, I cannot even imagine how it is for those who live in one room flats. It is almost as if they actually want to kill them all. When you are old lack of activity is exactly what kills you.
      I know that chewing on a clove eases toothache and also a mix of honey and cinnamon. You can also mix clove powder and some coconut oil and put it on your tooth or gums.

      Delete
    3. It is sad to see seniors confined indoors especially within a small flat. Thanks so much for the tip, I tried the clove and it offers this mild yet refreshing relief.

      Delete
    4. They say putting a slice of garlic on the painful tooth is most effective, but it might also be too smelly :)

      Delete
  3. Really hope you're able to get your tooth looked at soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rooth, I wonder why I just found this comment of yours just now. So sorry about that. Yes, more than a month later and I just visited my dentist today and after an x-ray, we have no choice but to extract molars ouch

      Delete