10 Tips to Stay Motivated When Working From Home



A friend asked me how I'm able to accomplish my tasks every day working from home.  Of course, I can't speak for everyone. Each one has their own way of getting things done. Besides, my workload now cannot be compared with how it was back in the Middle East.  My old ex-pat self would have scoffed at the present me, "Pfff..what work are you talking about ?"   

I feel life is a tad slower in the Philippines. Stressful as it may seem but a "bahala na" attitude still lingers in the air everywhere I go. It's both good and bad. It depends on how we take it.  I suppose, we spend more time stuck in traffic jams or waiting in a queue for a ride home and I couldn't help thinking, this is actually causing more stress than the actual work in the office. Much as we can complain about it, it is in fact beyond our control until we decide to pack our bags and go somewhere else. 

Hence, a lot decided to work from home for many reasons. 

Working from home can be tricky especially when there are a lot of distractions. The key is to remove them.


Create a Routine. Start with a cheerful activity in the morning.

Just before my daughter wakes up from her sleep, I steal a few moments to stretch on my yoga mat at the exact same spot every morning. This is my Zen corner.  If I'm even luckier, I can meditate quietly afterward before her bedroom door bangs against the wall while she chants, "Maman, chocolate please!"  I find doing yoga in the morning gives me that extra energy boost followed by a cup of freshly brewed coffee.

Set up your workspace at home

Ideally, it should be in a bright area where you get natural light. 

If you have a window, it's nicer to place your desk in front of it. Try to avoid facing a wall. Otherwise, make sure you have appropriate desk lighting. If you have a home office, great! But if you have limited space, you can find a spot where you feel good working. We have a massive dining table and I use one side of it for work so the other half can be utilized by everyone during meal times without having to move my things. 

If everything feels monotonous and if you have a terrace or a balcony at home, why not work outdoors? Breathe in the fresh air.

Or go out for a change and work in a coffee shop nearby or somewhere convenient.

Limit distractions

I log out of social media when I need full concentration on a task.  I am usually at my most productive when my daughter is in school. 

Play light inspiring music

If you are working on Skype or doing telemarketing, skip this. Whenever possible, music affects us in unexpected ways.  It helps get us in the mood. 

Schedule To-Do List and Time Management

Writing things down helps de-clutter the mind. Whether you do it electronically or the old way.  I keep a journal where I write everything down.  I also use the memo pad on my android phone.  You can also use apps like Trello or schedule tasks on Google Calendar. 

There are 4 kinds of tasks.  

1. The Urgent and Important
2. The Important but Not Urgent
3.  The Urgent but Not Important
4.  Not Urgent and Not Important

It's wise to classify tasks on the list and set target dates for them.  Schedule 1, 2 at the top of your list, and squeeze in 3 when the need arises. Should you have spare time,  throw in 4.

Nowadays, I usually start with easy tasks to slowly warm up to the most difficult. In my previous workaholic life, I was jumping in to complete the most difficult first because it feels empowering to get rid of the uneasy tasks making the rest easy-peasy.

Whatever floats your boat as long as you keep accomplishing tasks, you are on the right track.

Throw Yourself on the Other Side of the Fence

Wait, I didn't mean that literally ha.  Set deadlines with a client or make yourself accountable so you are forced and committed to complete the job at hand.

This is my masochistic way of avoiding procrastination.

Dress up

I know, it's so easy to stay in pajamas the entire day.  I am guilty of that. Wear something chic yet comfortable.  

Take breaks

Watch your stress levels. It is vital to take pauses in between. I find mindful breathing helps relax the mind and body.

It's okay if we are unable to accomplish everything within the planned time frame. Accept imperfection.  Working freelance is an entirely different adventure.  Enjoy!

Any other tips you would like to share?
Love & light,
Arni


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. You are quite organized. I write down tasks sometimes but I don't know how to use it well. I don't work from home but recently, my teammates and I have raised this matter to our manager, to at least allow us a day to work from home. She is amenable to it so I think I will be able to use your tips soon. In those few times I worked from home, my biggest challenge is to fight off sleep. So that's my question, how do you deal with the lure of the bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marge, Oh that is great news to be able to work from home once a week. Excellent point because the bed is such a big temptation. Out of sight out of mind. It gets more tricky in a studio unit or an open 1 Bedroom apartment. A paravent,a closet working as a divider or a curtain partition to conceal the bed might help.

      Delete