What to Send in a Care Package to the Philippines



Remember when I wrote about Which Food to Send in a Care Package some time ago?

I was at the airport waiting for my flight while I typed this. Bath & Body Works loomed to my left which brought me back to good old days when I hoarded products from this brand as presents for family and friends. I perused and felt nostalgic. I was tempted to purchase their liquid hand wash which was found scattered throughout our previous overseas home for many years, but its equivalent Philippine price is hefty for our current household budget, so I walked away. Which Items to Send in a box to the Philippines?

Here are top Non- food Items in a Balikbayan box that will be well appreciated by family and friends in the Philippines.

1. Beauty Products

Branded make-up, cosmetics, hair and skin care products are usually expensive in the Philippines.

When I first got here, I went to a well- known makeup brand stand alone shop and I was shocked by the price of the exact eyebrow powder I was using. It is double or almost triple the price than I bought it for in Dubai. I always believed in good quality products for the skin and will not take chances, but I will not purchase it if I know I could get it for a much more reasonable price elsewhere. 

I have been buying well reputed local brands lately, but given the chance, I would shift to products my skin loved. When we are used to certain imported products that suit us well, they come at a higher price when purchasing them in the Philippines. 


2. Perfume

Similar to Beauty Products, perfume falls in the same category.

3. Pots and Pans

Buying a huge set of branded non-stick pans and pots (hello Tefal and Prestige), not to mention induction cookware is almost equivalent to buying a couple of non-branded ones in the department stores in the Philippines.

4. Kitchen Gadgets and Tools

Investing in good quality kitchen gadgets and tools available is always a good idea. There are lots of versatile and unique items abroad such as high-quality peelers, knives, cheese boards, baking utensils,  ramekins, cast iron skillet, wine and champagne sealer and etc.  I miss IKEA for their affordable and practical gadgets.  Now, when is IKEA opening in Manila again? Can't wait!


5. Plates, Glassware and Silverware

I found the exact plates I bought for AED 5 each (Php 70) in Carrefour Dubai here in one of the major department store chains  Guess how much it is here for the same plate?  Php 112 pesos each.  This is just one example. Don't get me started on glassware. I'm glad I decided to keep all of our dinnerware. 

6. Bed linen, Mattress Covers and Towels

I have noticed that most towels and linen available in department stores here are  coarse and so expensive as opposed to fine sheets and good quality towels overseas that smell like berries as soon as they come out of the balikbayan box. Before leaving the Middle East, I stuffed a huge box filled with pillows, mattress covers, pillow cases, quilt and towels and sent it to the Philippines. I'm grateful for this decision. I sent the same to my family and they were really pleased.

Tip:  Go for 300 Thread Count  and above Hotel Quality Bed Linen for ultimate comfort.

7. Vacuum cleaner

Vacuuming is not a regular practice in the Philippines. At least, not in the provinces and small towns. In our country, a wooden broom that sheds bristles everywhere as much as a woman's hair is the norm.  Finding a good quality vacuum cleaner was quite a challenge and they're expensive!

After diligent search, I found a heavy duty, industrial vacuum from Kärcher in Ace Hardware that I love.  It's really light so I can drag it anywhere around the house. It has been with us for 2 years now. They have a bag-less option  too.   We ordered an LG vacuum robot for lazy days in Lazada with all of its buttons in Korean (that's the most affordable price we have found so far).  Needless to say, if you are looking for certain specifications and a specific model, it's easier to find them overseas.



8. Electronic Gadgets,  Mobile Phones and Cameras

I've purchased electronic gadgets locally and there's a massive difference in prices.  This should be hand carried though not sent through balikbayan boxes just in case they get lost.

9. Laptops

Another hand-carried item.

10. Branded Shoes and Bags

Sport shoes, branded shoes, name it.  May they be in outlet stores in the U.S. or in the Middle East, or their regular shops, they are way cheaper over there.

11. Toiletries, Laundry Detergents, Fabric Softener

Shampoos in large bottles, bath and laundry products seem to be more reasonably priced abroad. When I first got home, I had the habit of converting currencies. Being familiar to former grocery prices, this impression of toiletries being expensive here stuck with me. The presence of small sachets reflects our buying power in the Philippines.

12. Authentic Leather Goods

Okay, so wearing a leather jacket and boots in the tropical islands of the Philippines can be seen as bizarre due to our humid weather unless you are a celebrity, a fashion blogger, watching a film in our freezing cold cinema or keeping yourself warm in our air conditioned buses here, but just in case you wish to buy authentic leather goods, Italy's the place to be, Spain, India or  anywhere overseas.

13.  Area Rugs

Since it can be rolled up and sent in a box, why not?

14. Home Accessories

Decorative lights, jars, frames, decorative throws and pillows are always a delight to buy and send back home.

15. Garbage Bins and Laundry Baskets

There are bigger selections of functional yet stylish step trash cans in different finishes.  Good quality in terms of mechanism, material finish and plastic thickness.

16.  Cabinet Pulls and Hardware

When the industrial style came out, places to buy cabinet hardware of this style sprouted in the cities but there are still limited selections of contemporary finishes,  design of cabinet pulls and hardware.  It is often difficult to find matte-black finish for cabinet pulls in local hardware and building stores.  For a project, we imported all of the cabinet handles from U.S.

17.  Clothes 

Clothes are always appreciated.

What about you? 
Do you have more to add to the list?
Happy Shopping!

Love & light,
Arni

You Might Also Like

0 comments