Why I Took The Time Off Away From Facebook and Instagram


How ironic that I am posting this here. After almost 2 months of being away from IG and FB, my phone gallery has been empty for quite a while. 

When I noticed that I was automatically reaching out for my phone as soon as I wake up in the morning, I knew something had to change. The newsfeed scrolling suddenly consumes me for an hour. An hour that I will never gain back. I could have used that hour to do yoga, paint, write, read a book and many other things. Instead, the scrolling game that kept me glued to the screen made me feel worse. The perfectly curated images on Instagram made me feel like life isn't good enough. 

The last straw was when a conversation with a friend proved to me that reality is so different from the impressions we have formed from others' posts and stories online. These seemingly incomplete truths make us feel miserable.  They don't show the complete picture, nor reveal the struggles and the bitter parts that keep us grounded and more likeable. The amount of information digested through this auto pilot scrolling was also exhausting.

Thus, I needed a break from all of these.

I have decided to pursue a goal that has always been at the back of my mind for many years now to replace this habit. 

Going back to school for a month to review french was the perfect opportunity to replace this growing  external approval addiction. 

I took the time off FB and IG to focus on my exams. While I spent these last 2 months reading, writing, and immersing myself in the french language, I noticed that my phone battery which was often empty before the day ended suddenly was always with power. I also noticed that I didn't take photos as often as I used to. The only photos I found on my phone were furniture and material finishes for residential projects I was working on and one sunset view. I spent more time on messenger instead either communicating with friends or catching up on personal messages.

The DELF B1 exam results came out today. I am so thankful to God for a successful outcome and so grateful to teachers and family who knew about it and who were so supportive.

It was indeed a great day to celebrate. This image is one of my rare captures. One that I took today while walking with a friend I haven't seen for the last 19 years. 

This social media hiatus has been a welcoming break. One that I might consider on a permanent basis.

Look up from your phone. Enjoy the bougainvillea canopy. Smile at a stranger or engage in a conversation with your friend at the table or laugh together over a silly joke. Life is more meaningful off screen. Oh in case you are wondering, this photo was taken here in the Philippines. 

I just deleted my personal Instagram account and one day I might just do the same with my FB account, but  business and professional access prevent me from doing so.  


Have you ever taken a social media break?
Has anyone here permanently quit?

 Have a great week!
Love & light,
Arni

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Ain't that the truth, going over your phone without realizing how much time you've wasted on social media. That's the exact reason I chose deletion over deactivation of my old Facebook account. I just couldn't bear being there all the time taking in hours and hours of negativity (I used to be obsessed reading comment threads on just about anything). It was really exhausting. So I really can't blame you if you took the time off.

    I still have a Facebook account, a new one, but it doesn't have friends. I only use it to get updates on the FB group of my condo (need those water updates, lol), but mainly for managing my Facebook page. That's it.

    Lately, I have garnered many followers on Instagram but they drop as fast as they come. IG people nowadays are really all about followings and I really can't stand it. That's why I have been thinking of creating a new account, one where I will only follow the people that I like, one that is authentic. I just couldn't let go of my IG because it's linked to my blog and even when not all of my followers are engaged, it's still a good platform to promote my blog.

    Anyway, congrats on your exam! I'll see if I can go to Cebu this year, hopefully to meet you, maybe I can practice my barok French with you haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marge. I can imagine why you decided to deactivate your old Facebook account, especially come election time when political views stir up arguments. It can get toxic. Great idea on creating a new account for group and/or business purposes by the way.
      Instagram is indeed a great platform for bloggers yet sadly like you said, there are some who follow only to unfollow later. There's a lot to consider when having a huge following like yours on IG so like you, I would most probably keep it if I do have the same numbers.

      Delete