Vegetarian Curry Pastel


It has been a while since I shared a culinary post.  Nowadays, we have been eating more vegetables available in the local market. This is not your usual curry nor is it a typical pastel.  The taste is more adapted to the Filipino palate and it is a cross between a Filipino curry and a pastel.  If it were a song, it's more like a mash up. I like throwing things together and wondering what they would taste like and the first time I made it, it was a hit so I'm making another batch today while it's raining outside.


You can actually use coconut milk instead of all purpose cream and any vegetable you want but I just used what I have in hand.  I wanted it to be more keto as well so I didn't add potatoes, but do so if you want it more starchy and thick.


Here are the main ingredients:

  • 2 big carrots roughly chopped into bite sized cubes
  • 2 large eggplants (aubergines)
  • 1 green or red bell pepper chopped 
  • 1 large red onion or medium sized yellow onion roughly chopped
  • 2 large cloves of garlic
  • knobs of butter
  • olive oil
  • 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
  • 1 cup or 1 carton of Nestle all purpose cream
  • Squeezed juice from 3-4 calamansi (philippine lime) 
  • Salt and pepper
  • Curry Powder
  • Optional :  Thai fish sauce
  • Optional: Add chilli flakes if you want it spicy
  • Optional : 1 tablespoon of flour to create roux if you want the sauce to be thicker
Let's go do it!

In medium fire, throw in butter and olive oil in a non stick pan
Saute' carrots and onions until they become tender. Add salt and pepper.
Once they're tender, add the rest of the butter and the minced garlic.  I add a table spoon of flour to create a roux if you like the sauce to be thick and creamy.

Add bell pepper and eggplants until they're half cooked
Mix vegetable broth, fish sauce and calamansi.  
Pour in the all purpose cream. 
Add curry powder
If you want them spicy, sprinkle chilli flakes and season them more with salt and pepper.  Serve on a bed of hot brown rice.  Or if you're like me, I eat this creamy vegetarian dish as it is.

Bon Appetit!
Love & light, 
Arni

You Might Also Like

2 comments