Going Home

This is it.  Plane tickets- check. Luggage-check.  I'm on my way to the airport.  I haven't spent Christmas there for the last 10 years.  You see , I have been away for almost a decade.  I can count the number of times I've been there in one hand.  I'm heading home to go back to my roots and see family.

Coron, Palawan
 I was born in one of the 7,107 islands of the Philippines, in the capital  to be exact.   Much as I'd love to say (when someone asks me) I was from one of the exotic islands, I pretty much grew up in the concrete jungle of the capital.   It's a shame how I've visited more cities around the world than my own country.  So this year, I'm heading back to explore  where I came from.

Kayangan Lake, Coron, Palawan
 I'm happy to have started this sojourn last year when I visited  the islands of Coron, Palawan.  This time I'm heading  Southeast traveling with my college best friend.

They say that " True friends are the ones who never leave your heart, even if they leave your life for awhile.  Even after years apart, you pick up with them right where you left off."   ---I think that's absolutely true!  Zepy of Travel Explore Beyond and I are of kindred spirits.  She has been my high school and college classmate, maid of honor when I got married, and one of my best best friends who  has always been there for me like  a sister.  After graduation, we started working together on a beach house re-design project.  At that time we were oblivious to our passion for adventure.Two years later, we reunited to go backpacking in the rice terraces of Banaue and caves of Sagada - just the two of us with no hotel bookings and no idea what the itinerary was.  This was during my first home visit alone as a Dubai expat.  This life changing trip  triggered our love for travel.  It opened doors to more adventures in both of our immediate futures. Over the years, she has explored every corner of the archipelago and the surrounding countries many times over.


I am excited, anxious, filled with mixed emotions for this unplanned trip.
I am merely following where the wind takes me.  
Let's see what I might find.

XOXO,
Arni

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. What a beautiful place!

    I wanted to let you know that I mentioned you on the Oh, How I Miss You blogfest - just because I'd miss you if your were gone. Thanks for being a blog friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're going back home :) If I had known earlier I could have met you there! Next time :) Safe and happy travels Arni xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very cool. I hope you enjoy your trip back home for the holidays and discovering more about your roots

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you a wonderful holiday, Arni!
    I can imagine how excited you are about spending Christmas at home after 10 years away. I am equally excited about going back to Tenerife for three weeks and I was there just like Christmas!
    I also think is a best idea to explore a bit more of your own country, especially if it is as beautiful as it looks in your pictures :)
    Have a great and safe trip!

    xo Irene

    ReplyDelete